Egg Tomato Toast
In the summer, one of my favorite ways to have tomatoes is Pan Am Tomaquet - much simpler than the name sounds, but just as grand tasting. This morning I decided to try a twist on the original. I added a fried egg and slices of tomato. It was delicious.
Egg Tomato Toast
1 garlic clove
1 slice of sourdough bread or French baguette
1. While the bread is toasting, fry an egg (I like mine with the yolk poked - gooey but not runny).
2. When the toast is done, rub the whole surface with a cut garlic clove.
3. Cut a tomato in half - cut one half into slices and set aside momentarily.
4. Press the other half into the toast all over the surface (like you're stamping), so the bread soaks up the juices.
5. Drizzle olive oil over the toast and sprinkle with salt.
6. Top with fried egg and tomato slices. Sprinkle with more salt (I used truffle salt).
About the Tomatoes
Almost everything we plant in earthboxes seems to sprout up in giant quantities that dwarf our little sun drenched patio that's half kids' play area and half growing things -- all sorts of peppers, Japanese eggplant, chives...but as for the tomatoes, I'm convinced it is the gardener's heart of love to please his wife that makes them grow: first the sweet 100s, then the heirlooms, and now the romas. Tender tomatoes, fresh herbs, and roses that bloom even in December are the perfect minimalist answer to my garden yearnings. Not to mention a handsome gardener who repeatedly says "As you wish..." without using any words.
A few of my favorite ways to eat fresh tomatoes (besides straight up with salt):
Pa Amb Tomaquet (excellent even with subpar tomatoes)
Simple Tomato Sandwich
Simple Tomato & Avocado Salad
Insalata Caprese (sometimes we add anchovies)
La Madeleine's Tomato-Basil Soup
Tomato Pasta (my recipe)
No Cook Puttanesca Sauce with Linguine
Tomato Eggplant Casserole
My recipes on Food.com (4.6 star average rating)